Thursday 13 October 2011

Another tropical fruit - Kumquat or Cumquat

I discovered kumquat for the first time when I went to Costa Rica. Soon after discovering this fruit I started making jam out of it. Most of all I like the texture of the jam - the fruit`s skin stays firm and makes a nice mixture with its flesh. The flesh of the fruit separate from the skin makes it very different and unique jam texture.
The way I used to make my jam was with kumquat, white sugar, pectin, lemon and, of course, water. It has been a long time since I cooked kumquat jam. I think it was in Puerto Rico, because a friend of mine used to own a tree and we`d do exchange - fruits for jam. But it`s very costly in Canada; it`s also the fact that it`s not available at the market all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment