Wednesday 19 October 2011

Another Exotic Fruit - Grapefruit

Grapefruit is one of my favorite fruits to eat fresh.
When I started my bed & breakfast in Puerto Rico, the existing building was right next to this humongous grapefruit tree. We built a balcony next to it so in the morning I would wake up and literally walk 3-4 ft and I could pick my own grapefruit right there. It was a size of a bowling ball. They were so sweet that they tasted more like oranges, rather then grapefruits. There was no bitterness at all.

The tree is still there healthy and producing and it almost looks like this.


By the way, if the fruit is really sweet and ripe, the seed inside starts germinating and growing into a small plant inside of the fruit itself. I find it a very interesting phenomenon and it looks like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment