Wednesday 27 July 2011

Passion Fruit (Passioflora)

It was my first day in Puerto Rico. I remember myself walking around construction site and suddenly I saw this magnificent flower. It was the most beautiful flower I’ve seen. I went to talk to my husband and asked what kind of plan it was. So he went and picked one of the fruits that were hanging there for me to try.

Since that day I got addicted to passion fruits and even started making juices, cakes, fruit salads with it. I like it best in the tropical fruit salad.
Passion fruits taste like a mild strawberry, slightly sweet but often soury and have seeds that are surrounded by jelly.

The only problem with the plant itself is that it’s of one of those climbing types that climb up your fence and as it’s very heavy it can break it down. Though I think it’s worth it:)

And at www.foodreference.com they even say that passion fruit is a good source of vitamins A and C, as well as potassium and iron. One passion fruit has only 16 calories. When eaten with the seeds, a serving is an excellent source of fiber.

And  do you have anything to share, like recipes, or natural remedies?

No comments:

Post a Comment