Sunday 24 July 2011

Challenges of being injured in winter

The stress of having an injured leg during the winter time is very high. One of the challenges is to keep your driveway free of snow and ice. Every time there is a one or two inches of snow, you have to worry about who is going to remove it. Because I like to shovel snow and I find it more efficient to remove the snow myself, I did not renew my snow removal contract for the winter season of 2010-2012. I must say, It was a big mistake.
I had my ski accident on January 28, 2011. The following week it did not snow but a week a later we had a huge storm. The next morning after the storm I called few snow removal companies including the one that I usually hired. I requested them to give me an estimate for the end of the season and they told me that they cannot take my contract because they only do the full season. To make the story short, I ended up having to beg my neighbors and friends to shovel my driveway. It may seem like it is no big deal for a mobile person, but for someone who cannot walk it means that you cannot go out at all. You become completely isolated. Also, another problem was the ice building up on my house walk way. It was out of the question to walk on ice and risk falling. Therefore it was necessary to use ice salt. Once again, I had to rely on my generous neighbors and friends. Finally at the end of April it was over and I could journey anywhere without worrying of snow or ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment